Cleaning the Cobwebs

News from Smoky Valley Photography!

I’ve set things up so that select posts from my blog, All the Pages, are published on Smoky Valley Photography. To do that I created a new category, Smugmug, and specified the RSS feed for that category as the source for the SVP blog.

Smoky Valley Photography Blog

Kudos to Smugmug for supporting interop via RSS!

I did a bunch of behind the scenes work on this site as well, hence the title of this post. Here’s an overview of the changes I made, as much for my future self as anything.

Oh, before I forget. I added a site logo to this site last week. Actually, I added a new logo to Smoky Valley Photography as well. Here they are (have to get an image into this post somehow!) (The work notes/cobweb cleaning details are below the logos.)

All the Pages logo

Smoky Valley Photography logo

Cobweb Cleaning

Re-enabled cache, which brought Yslowup to 93 from 72.

Reviewed my SEO plugin settings. Now I have hopefully set things so Google will ignore category pages and only index individual pages.

I made a ton of CSS changes to the theme via the built-in CSS editor. This was done mainly to specify fonts.

Most of the work was done via CSS over rides. Unfortunately a few changes had to be made outside of the system. Both the CSS changes and the file system level changes are documented in a README file.

As a result of these changes, most pages now validate as valid HTML 5. The pages that don’t validate make use of the Hover Image plugin, which I like, so I’m leaving them for now.

I also added rel=”nofollow” tags to the “Page N of M” links at the bottom of the home page and all archive pages. I hate the fact that Google will send someone to a Photoblog page, 3 of 37, for some odd combo of words that only appear on the index page, but not on any specific post. No more!